There are literally thousands of vetted medical studies demonstrating a wide variety of non-toxic cancer treatments. Substances that don't make a patient's hair fall out, don't cause nausea, don't attack healthy organs and DON'T cause cancer!! Research into these therapies needs to be expanded, but that will only happen when we demand it from political and industry leaders.
We have been lied to for decades regarding 1 of the most promising cancer treatments in history, a treatment providing 5,000 years of medicinal use without a single death. A simple plant that has repeatedly shown an ability to not only kill cancer cells, but also protect healthy cells. The government would have you believe that marijuana is a highly dangerous, even deadly drug with no medicinal use. BULLSHIT!! The fact is the US Department of Health and Human Services has held a patent on cannabinoids (the active substances in pot) for nearly 10 years!! And what uses do they claim their patented plant has? Antioxodants and neuroprotectants, meaning of course a disease fighter and nervous system protector!!
This is a direct quote from the patent overview:
"Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia."How does it make you feel to learn that our so called leaders are causing death and suffering by refusing to allow use or research into a PLANT that they KNOW has unlimited medicinal applications? The voters in at least 15 states and Washington DC have overwhelmingly approved of medical marijuana use, yet the Feds continue to jail and harass patients in all 50 states. Please, tell Congress what you think about their egregious hypocrisy; we, the people CAN change OUR laws, but only if we get involved!
There is a plethora of literature available on numerous databases, including the U.S. Government's, that demonstrate marijuana's many legitimate medicinal uses. There are several studies highlighted here and on this page, but there are many, many more.
A Google Scholar search for marijuana/cannabis in medical journals returns more than 77,000 articles. Facinating reading! (Hint: you can narrow the search by adding a specific medical condition, like "cancer", or any other term)
* * *Researchers in Sweden discovered a substance found in human breast milk has the ability to kill cancer cells, according to a study published in the PLoS One Journal. Laboratory experiments showed the substance has the ability to kill 40 different types of cancer cells. (not marijuana related, just demonstrating that the 'cure' for cancer doesn't have to be deadly)
* * *Cannabinoids as Pharmacotherapies for Neuropathic Pain-2009 PubMed article published by the Neuroscience and Behavior Program, Department of Psychology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA.
"Neuropathic pain is a debilitating form of treatment-resistant chronic pain caused by damage to the nervous system. Neuropathic pain remains a significant clinical problem because it responds poorly to available therapies. Moreover, adverse side-effect profiles may limit therapeutic dosing and contribute to inadequate pain relief.
CONCLUSION: Cannabis has been used for pain relief for centuries, although the mechanism underlying their analgesic effects has remained poorly understood until the discovery of cannabinoid receptors and their endogenous ligands in the 1990's. During the last two decades, a large number of research papers have demonstrated the efficacy of cannabinoids and modulators of the endocannabinoid system in suppressing neuropathic pain in animal models.
Clinical studies largely reaffirm that cannabinoids show efficacy in suppressing diverse neuropathic pain states in humans."
* * *The Role of Cannabis and Cannabinoids in Diabetes-Medscape article from British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease.
CONCLUSION: "Cannabinoids appear to affect biochemical pathways associated with diabetes but it is too early to say whether this will lead to new treatments"
* * *Cannabinoids Inhibit Insulin Receptor Signaling in Pancreatic β-Cells-Medscape article posted: 04/11/2011 (© 2011 American Diabetes Association, Inc)
An inadequate expansion of β-cell mass or failure of the existing β-cell mass to compensate for the changing insulin demand are hallmarks of type 2 diabetes, and these prominent features may result from defective IR signaling.[1–4,27–29] Therefore, our data should result in the resumption of attention being paid to ECS as a key factor in β-cell physiology and may lead to development of a new therapeutic strategy aiming to preserve better functioning β-cells.
* * *Cannabinoid May Decrease Anxiety in Nondemented Older Adults-Medscape article relevant quotes: "The cannabinoid dronabinol, which has previously been shown to successfully enhance appetite in chemotherapy patients, may also augment antidepressant treatment in partially responsive mood and anxiety symptoms in older adults who are not cognitively impaired, new research suggests.
The investigators note that although previous case reports have suggested that dronabinol is safe and effective for treating mood and anxiety symptoms in patients with dementia, they were interested investigating its treatment potential in nondemented patients"
* * *"A January 2010 ABC news poll showed that 81 percent of Americans believed that medical cannabis should be legal in the United States"
* * *The prestigious, American College of Physicians published a position paper detailing scientific information supporting the use of marijuana. Some relevant quotes:
"Preclinical, clinical, and anecdotal reports suggest numerous potential medical uses for marijuana. Unfortunately, research expansion has been hindered by a complicated federal approval process, limited availability of research-grade marijuana, and the debate over legalization."
"ACP urges an evidence-based review of marijuana's status as a Schedule I controlled substance to determine whether it should be reclassified to a different schedule."
CONCLUSION: "Evidence not only supports the use of medical marijuana in certain conditions but also suggests numerous indications for cannabinoids. Additional research is needed to further clarify the therapeutic value of cannabinoids and determine optimal routes of administration. The science on medical marijuana should not be obscured or hindered by the debate surrounding the legalization of marijuana for general use."
* * *"The Michigan State Medical Society has stated that it supports the use of cannabinoids for medical purposes by routes other than smoking. The society also urges further research and testing on the drug."
* * *PubMed study on the use of cannabinoids for the treatment of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
CONCLUSION: "Our data predict that the cannabinoid receptor system present in the synovium may be an important therapeutic target for the treatment of pain and inflammation associated with OA and RA"
* * *National Cancer Institute database on the use of marijuana for cancer patients which contains the following statements:
"Cannabis has been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years prior to its current status as an illegal substance"
"Chemical components of Cannabis, called cannabinoids, activate specific receptors found throughout the body to produce pharmacologic effects, particularly in the central nervous system and the immune system" (*which probably explains why the US government has held a patent, since 2003, on "Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants")
Regarding marijuana's ability to kill cancer cells (anti-tumor effect) the NCI database, in part, now says this:
"One study in mice and rats suggested that cannabinoids may have a protective effect against the development of certain types of tumors."
"Decreased incidences of benign tumors in other organs (mammary gland, uterus, pituitary, testis, and pancreas) were also noted in the rats."
"Cannabinoids may cause antitumor effects by various mechanisms, including induction of cell death, inhibition of cell growth, and inhibition of tumorangiogenesis and metastasis."
"Cannabinoids appear to kill tumor cells but do not affect their nontransformed counterparts and may even protect them from cell death."
"Phytocannabinoids and endocannabinoids may be useful in the prevention and treatment of colorectal cancer"
"THC is a potent and selective antiviral agent against Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus"
* * *
"Cannabinoids are proving to be unique based on their targeted action on cancer cells and their ability to spare normal cells."CONCLUSION: "In view of the fair safety profile of most cannabinoids together with their antiproliferative action on tumor cells, clinical trials are required to determine whether cannabinoids could be used for the inhibition of tumor growth in a clinical setting. If this could be established, then one can hope that nontoxic, nonhabit forming cannabinoids could be developed as novel therapeutic agents for the treatment of cancer. The AACR website lists more than 40 studies on the use of marijuana/cannabinoids to treat cancer.
* * *Another PubMed study on the use of Cannabinoids in the management of difficult to treat pain. CONCLUSION: "Cannabinoid analgesics have generally been well tolerated in clinical trials with acceptable adverse event profiles. Their adjunctive addition to the pharmacological armamentarium for treatment of pain shows great promise."
* * *Cannabis Science provides physician's documentation that Rick Simpson's "Phoenix Tears" oil successfully treats skin cancer.
* * *An article from Time exploring the Medical Facts About Marijuana